Protect Teachers, Defend Education - Teachers' Workload – stronger together
The ‘Workload Challenge’ survey
In response to the NUT’s campaigning, Nicky Morgan and Nick Clegg have announced a “Workload Challenge” consultation in England. More than 30,000 teachers have already responded. Please add your views here.
Use our suggested action plan to inform your response and include any examples of good practice in your own school. The survey closes on 21st November
- Fill in the DfE survey here www.surveymonkey.com/s/Workloadchallenge
- Send your suggestions on how to reduce workload to the DFE at firstname.lastname@example.org
The NUT believes that teachers deserve improved protection against excessive workload. We will be pursuing this vigorously with employers and the Government over the coming months.
Our strike in March this year forced the publication of the workload statistics which had been collected more than a year earlier. It also forced the Government to produce guidance or head teachers about the evidence demands they place on teachers and on equalities issues in pay determination.
Campaigning on workload and working time issues in school – teachers’ working time and duties guide - 2014
This guide summarises the entitlements of teachers under the STPCD; their rights under regulation and legislation;and the NUT’s policies and advice on workload and working hours. Teachers who are employed by a local authority or by the governing body of a foundation, or voluntary aided school are covered by STPCD conditions. Many teachers working in Academies will be too, though this is not automatic in all cases.
Click here to download summary guidance on teachers working time and duties
Click here to download detailed guidance on Teachers Working Time and Duties
Click here to download the Sixth Form Colleges Teachers' workload and working time guidance.
Other workload materials
- Take control of your working hours (A3 Poster)
- Take control of your working hours (A4 Poster)
- Take control of your working hours (A5 Postcard)
- Teacher cover. Guidance for divisions, association and NUT representative
- Planning poster A3
- Planning leaflet
- Planning: Guidance for Members - This guidance provides up-dated advice and protection to members on excessive demands for planning.
- Improving Teachers’ Conditions of Service - Guidance for NUT School Representatives
- Checklist of Workload Targets
- Work Your Proper Hours - Time Sheet
- Directed Time Calculator - Blackburn with Darwen NUT has developed this directed time calculator, which has been adopted by a number of schools in that area, and is happy to make it available more widely.
- Teacher Stress - NUT Guidance to Divisions and Associations
- Preventing Work-Related Mental Health Conditions by Tackling Stress - Guidance for Head Teachers
- Work-Life Balance - Guidance on Developing Policies for Schools
- Work-Life Balance School Model Policy
For workload campaign materials and resources, please click here