Pride Marches and Pride Stalls in Summer 2014
This info sheet provides details about Prides this summer and explains what support is available for LGBT members who will attend and organise stalls or walking parades.
The London Pride march will take place on Saturday 28th June 2014. Members from any region/Wales who are interested in volunteering at London Pride should contact Gemma Meek email@example.com. The NUT will have a float at London Pride and a stall. Please note that expenses cannot be paid for travel to London.
Dates and Venues of Regional Pride Events
- Birmingham Pride Sat 24th & Sun 25th May
- Blackpool Pride Sat 14th & Sun 15th June
- Bristol Pride Saturday 12th July
- Newcastle Pride 18th – 20th July
- Norwich Pride Saturday 26th July
- Liverpool Pride Saturday 2nd August
- Brighton Pride Saturday 2nd August
- Doncaster Pride Saturday 16th August
- Manchester Pride 22 - 25th August
Association and division secretaries and equalities officers are asked to make all members aware that the NUT supports Pride marches so that those teachers who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender hear about it and have the opportunity to consider attending. About 10 per cent of NUT members may be LGBT but many will not have identified themselves to the Union as such.
Secretaries are requested to publicise Pride marches in your area at forthcoming meetings and among all members, via local websites and by newsletter.
If members need materials (eg giveaways) printed and delivered for the stall(s), please indicate:-
- at what Pride there will be a stall or walking parade;
- who the contact person is in the regional or Wales office/which division/which member; and when they need the materials.
The list above is not an exhaustive list. There are other Pride events all over England and Wales. Members in your region or in Wales may be planning an NUT stall at other Prides.
There might not be a stall at all these. These locations are listed because in some of these locations the NUT has previously had stalls, or because discussions are happening about a 2014 stall.
The NUT materials for the stalls, including table skirts, frisbees, garlands, badges, leaflets and other items elsewhere are co-ordinated by Gary Lewis firstname.lastname@example.org