Equalities Bulletin - autumn 2014
Important forthcoming events
Encourage members from your division/association to participate in these events::
- Anthony Walker Memorial Lecture – 17 October 2014
- Black Teachers’ Conference – 7 to 9 November 2014
- LGBT Teachers’ Conference – 29 November 2014
And tell reps/members about:
- Black History Month – October 2014
- Transgender Day of Remembrance – 20 November 2014
Get the word out
Blair Peach Award 2015
- We are now taking nominations for the Blair Peach Award 2015. The BPA is awarded at Annual Conference to give recognition to members who have made exemplary contributions to their school or association or division’s work on equality and diversity. More details about the award, previous winners and how to nominate someone can be found here.
Anthony Walker Memorial Lecture – 17 October 2014 – Barking and Dagenham
- The lecture is free but booking is essential. The speaker is Jeremy Crook OBE, Director of the Black Training Enterprise Group. Please inform members about the lecture and if they would like to attend please ask them to contact the Education and Equalities department by email email@example.com or telephone 020 7380 4861.
Good to know
Did you know that….
- The Equality Act 2010 also protects against ‘discrimination by association’
- Official figures from the Department for Education (DfE) in 2011 revealed there are just 30 black male head teachers in England's 21600 state schools.
- The NUT has 1452 registered disabled members. Make sure that all members identified as disabled in your area are registered.
Learning from each other
- This bulletin exists to share good ideas and disseminate them around the Union, building their power and impact.
- Tell us what you are doing in your region/division/association by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information about NUT courses please email email@example.com
- Bulletin 6 – Summer 2014
- Bulletin 5 – Spring 2014
- Bulletin 4 – Spring 2013
- Bulletin 3 – Summer 2012
- Bulletin 2 – Autumn 2011
- Bulletin 1 – Summer 2011