Proud to be LGBT, Proud to be a Teacher
The NUT believes that schools should be places where diversity does not mean discrimination and where the dignity of all individuals is respected. Supporting LGBT pupils and staff involves ensuring that the attitudes which generate homophobia and transphobia are eliminated across all areas of school life including the school policies and procedures, curriculum, and training opportunities the school offers to its employees.
The NUT is determined to ensure that its lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans members have a voice in the Union, in the classroom and in broader society, and do not face barriers to promotion, representation or participation.
The NUT has a proud history of representing and supporting LGBT teachers and continues to fight for equality for all teachers. We have succeeded in using the law to protect LGBT teachers from discrimination at school and to prevent homophobic bullying, winning compensation for those who have been failed by their employers.
Supporting and promoting equality
From local to national levels, the NUT takes up topics that matter to LGBT teachers.
- organises an annual LGBT Teachers' Conference, where teachers can meet together in a safe space to discuss educational and equality related issues;
- has an advisory committee on LGBT equality in education which provides advice to the National Executive and has regional representatives from across England and Wales;
- a seat reserved for an LGBT member on the National Executive;
- actively participates in TUC activities that promote LGBT equality, including sending a delegation of NUT members each year to the TUC LGBT Workers' Conference;
- works with other Commonwealth teachers' unions and Education International to develop policies on LGBT equality;
- supports a variety of projects tackling homophobia in education and promoting good practice;
- has a network of local equality officers;
- has an LGBT Members Network;
- supports LGBT History Month each February;
- works collaboratively with Schools Out; and
- has a strong presence at Pride events nationwide.
NUT Structures and LGBT Representation
Conferences, Courses and Events
Winning for Teachers: The NUT Defending Teachers
LGBT Equality in Schools
LGBT International Campaigning